Recent Posts

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Simple Hospitality

hos·pi·tal·i·ty 
1. the friendly reception and treatment of guests or strangers.
2. the quality or disposition of receiving and treating guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way.

Where are the days of saying 'hi' to your neighbor, dropping in spontaneously on friends or sharing a simple meal together. People need relationship and community, there is no doubt about it. And it actually doesn't take much to make someone feel welcomed or cared for. It seemed to me when I was growing up we were always having people over for meals, dropping in on our neighbors and offering the postman a glass of lemonade. It seems so different now, maybe it is just living in the city but I think we are getting very good at isolating ourselves from real community (facebook is not 'real' community) and therefore not even allowing hospitality opportunities to exist.

Simple hospitality can go a very long way...your house doesn't have to be spotless, the cookies don't have to be 'homemade' and you don't have to book it in your calendar! Making hospitality part of our everyday life will not only bless others but will be a blessing to us.

So, I'm not sure where 'tablenosh' falls into place with hospitality but I certainly look forward to welcoming people into our home in a friendly and generous manner. I really want to challenge myself to make hospitality and being generous part of our daily lives...okay, I guess I better go whip up some lemonade for the postman!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment